Friday, September 21, 2007

Business As Usual At My Newspaper

To the Editor:

I am writing about the GOP scuttling of the SB l bill last night. I am outraged. I am hurt. I am so disappointed I could cry. This morning I opened my newspaper to see on the front page of my paper that the “main news” was all about the Twenty-Fifth Crazylegs Classic. On the local page of my newspaper the headlines and main news was all about the proposed plans to renovate Warner Park Stadium.

Finally, on the left column of the local news, page C-3, I finally learn about the selfish and cowardly actions at my State Legislature. Was I really surprised what Rep. Representative John Gard and his Republican colleagues did? No. Was I surprised and sad that my paper treated this action as routine and as business as usual. You bet I was. What I found unbelievable was that my newspaper which is so proud of its investigative reporting on the caucus scandal, doesn’t consider this major aftermath event of any real consequence or significance to the citizens of Wisconsin. When in fact, based on what has transpired at our Capitol it deserves four inch headlines on the front page.

On a state-wide sports event I get detailed information about how many points each player scored, how many minutes they played, and extensive commentary. This morning, when I am reading about an event, that means so very much more to me and my grandchildren, I am expecting to see a headline and special supplemental side columns. I am expecting interviews with the prominent actors involved. I want them question and quoted extensively on why they took the actions they took I want big pictures!

As a reader, I am most respectfully asking your paper’s editorial staff to give this story the attention it deserves.