Thursday, September 27, 2007

An Invitation to Partner

Dear Friends,

About two years ago I retired and at about the same time I joined the Unity Church of Madison. Soon afterwards I joined Unity’s Social Justice Ministry Advisory Council. Unity established a Social Justice Ministry program about six months ago and I have been on the Council for about four months. For me this opportunity to serve has been a real privilege and I am looking forward to continuing to serve in this way.

During this same time period however while reading my newspaper I become increasingly aware of the corruption at our State Capitol and of the extent that our state legislators are now only serving those special interest groups that financially support their re-election. I learned that as an individual citizen, your interests and mine, is really of little concern to those who represent us anymore. They have only two primary concerns: serving those special interests with the most money, and getting re-elected.

While daily reading of the corruption at our Capitol I also learned of a non-partisan group called the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign (WDC). The WDC is a citizen advocacy group that has been working for campaign finance reform since 1995. To learn more about WDC or to join, visit their website or at wisdc@wisdc.org or call 608-255-4260.

Now that I am retired I have decided that I want to work and do whatever I can to help take back our Legislature (our democracy) for our grandchildren. I am wonder if you feel about this issue as I do? If so, I would like to work with you and for you on this concern. I know that you are probably not retired, and maybe not as able at this time to give as much time to this issue as me. Nevertheless you may feel that you have some time and want to do something to help. If you would like, I would like it if you could see me as working for you, at least part time, on your behalf. In exchange I would like your ideas and your participation at whatever level will work for you.

This letter is an invitation to you from me to partner with me on this important issue. If you are interested in staying in contact with me on this issue or would be interested in having me contact you in the future for your help with one or more very specific assignments, (e.g., signing a petition or a letter, making a call, etc.) then please contact me at 608-249-5672 or e-mail me at bergentown@sbc.global.net.

Sincerely yours,

Bill Benedict

No comments: